Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mental Health Day


Have you ever woken up one morning and dreaded going to work?  You know, the kind of dread that makes you crawl back under the covers after having been up for awhile or, in some cases, never get out from under them in the first place.  The kind of dread where you are immobilized to do anything other than think of excuses as to why you shouldn’t go into work.  You get the picture.  That would be me today. 

Why the sudden dread to go into work?  I wish I could tell you that I’m working crazy hours and that I’m super stressed and need a break, but I can’t.  The truth is I’m B. O. R. E. D.  I’m in consulting and I go from project to project.  Right now, I’m in between projects which means I’m on the beach.  That sounds awesome doesn’t it?  Being on the beach.  It conjures up pictures of me relaxing in a beach chair listening to the sounds of the ocean with no worries other than wondering when the cabana boy is going to be bringing me my next drink.  Ha!  If only that were true.  What being on the beach really means is me sitting in an office trying to amuse myself until the next project comes along.  Again, you’re thinking – that doesn’t sound so bad.  I am all for not having anything to do every once in a while, but when you have been doing it every day for 3 weeks it gets old.  One can only make so many doctor appointments, do research on so many different topics, and catch up with so many people before the boredom sets in.  I am grateful that I've had the time, but I’m ready to get back into the swing of things.  Don’t get me wrong, I will probably complain when I finally do get on a project, but I would rather be crazy busy then bored.  Being bored is almost as bad as being stuck in traffic everyday. 

To combat the boredom I am caving in and taking a personal day.  My plans for today?  I bet you are expecting that I will do something fun or exciting, but I’m not.  I plan on catching up on some tv shows via hulu, doing a little reading, and maybe getting in a workout.  More importantly though, I need to clean.  We are having a family shindig at my house on Saturday and my house is not visitor worthy at the moment, so I will be spending a good portion of my time cleaning.  You’re jealous I know.  I would be too if I wasn’t the one living the dream;).

1 comments:

Shannon said...

A whole bunch of boring days at work sound divine to me right now, though I understand how miserable it can be once you've actually had too many of those days.

I hope you enjoyed your mental health day!

Post a Comment